Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Some wood that ain't good

     I decided to do a phased inspection on my new house. I had one done this week before signing off on pre-drywall and I will have one done at the final as well. My inspector said the house is very well constructed, excellent joist system, good tight construction.  The report had some assorted issues, I'm going to show the ones related to framing. Despite countless photos, being there in person staring at my new house, I didn't see any of these until the inspector pointed them out. I will let the photos speak for themselves. These are things you should watch for while your houses are being framed. I am confident Ryan will have the framers back with their nail guns and caulk :) The inspector was also surprised that given a second floor laundry room, no pan will be installed under the washing machine.

Front Right Gable.

Looking up at the roof, right rear corner.

Side of morning room, looking up at roof.

6 comments:

  1. There is a pan in our laundry room. It was never really mentioned during sales or pre-construction, but it was standard. It has it's own drain, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Tammi the tell tale sign is a drain pipe in the floor where the washer goes. Good catches, those could be stress related, meaning at one point they were tight and then shifted because of other work going on. They are supposed to brace the trusses to keep that from happening but yes they will be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My current home, which is in the same county, has the pan and drain. I asked the PM today on my pre-drywall session and he said definitely no to the pan and drain. There are pros and cons to having the pan, of course. The pan will do nothing if a hose breaks. It mainly handles an overflow, which I don't think in my lifetime I've ever seen happen. The PM pointed out that some people complain that the pan sometimes prevents aligning the machine with the dryer and customers complain. My feeling is it helps the machine from "Walking." Not a show stopper, but my first choice would be to have it.

      Delete
  3. The pan kinda stinks if you have a pedestal under your washer because you won't be able to open it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my conversation with Mgmt today I mentioned the pan. He stated that they have gotten feedback from customers who have bought large front load machines that don't fit in the pans, or they have to end up taking them out. I guess that makes sense, I still have 12 year old classic boxy Kitchenaid washer/dryer that fit the pan well. Really not a big deal anyway, very low on my worry list :)

      Delete